Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation
Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation
The objects of the Foundation are to promote the arts, culture and heritage for the public benefit. As well as providing Musical Theatre Scholarships and supporting projects through The Architectural Heritage Fund, the trustees have given grants to various projects in the arts. For a full list of these projects, please see our “Latest News” section of the website. Details on some of the projects supported by the Foundation can be found by clicking on the links below.
The final challenge fund grant will help the Llanthony Secunda Priory Trust to bring two disused buildings on a nationally important historic site back into use. The mediaeval range and farmhouse is one component of the £3.25 million Llanthony Secunda Priory ‘Reformation Project’ on the site of a ruined former Augustinian priory. The site, close to the centre of Gloucester, is a Scheduled Monument and includes six Grade I listed buildings and structures.
Argos HIll Windmill is a post mill, the earliest form of windmill design, constructed so that the mill body can rotate around its central post to face the wind. It retains nearly all its original machinery, although is has been without sweepts since 1999. After its closure and following years of decline, it was added to the Heritage at Risk Register. The local community formed the Argos Hill Windmill Trust in 2011 and they took ownership of the mill. By this time substantial repairs were needed. Fundraising started to restore the mill and, along with the Challenge Fund grant, a substantial contribution from the local authority and a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, the Trust were able to achieve their target of £250,000 to go ahead with the project.
Sir William James restored sea trading routes to the East India Company following the Battle of Severndroog off the Malabar Coast to the west of India. Severndroog Castle was commissioned in 1784 by his widow to commemorate his achievements and house his memorabilia. The building was subsequently bequeathed to local inhabitants with ownership finally resting with the Royal Borough of Greenwich. Most recently used as a café, it has lain empty for a quarter of a century following the withdrawal of funding. A grant has now been awarded to the Severndroog Castle Trust to assist with the funding shortfall for this project.
A grant has been awarded to the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust which is working with the South Yorkshire Building Preservation Trust to bring the cemetery’s neo-classical Non-Conformist Chapel into use as a community and arts venue, expanding the range of activities the Trust currently runs within the cemetery. It is hoped that the project will be a catalyst for the regeneration of the General Cemetery as a whole, which was one of the first commercial landscape cemeteries in the UK. The Non-Conformist Chapel (1836) is one of nine listed buildings and monuments, including unique catacombs. The cemetery is listed on English Heritage’s Register of Historic Parks and Gardens and in 2010 the whole cemetery was designated as “at risk”.
The Bowes Railway, a Scheduled Monument, is one of the earliest and best-preserved examples of a rope haulage railway in the country. Attributed to George Stephenson, it was a system for transporting coal from the North Durham Coalfield to ships moored on the River Tyne. Amongst the buildings on the site are two hauler houses, built to accommodate the machinery which powered the ropeway. Blackfell Hauler House is in a state of disrepair, with its machinery either stolen or vandalised to such an extent that English Heritage has agreed it can be stripped out and the building reused. Tyne & Wear Building Preservation Trust is working with the Bowes Railway Company to refurbish the building for use as a bunkhouse and an education space to complement the existing activities at the site, which is a working museum. Work is planned to start in September 2013.
Built in 1812, Sandycombe Lodge was designed by the artist JMW Turner as a country retreat from which he mounted painting expeditions. The property was bequeathed to the Sandycombe Lodge Trust (now renamed the Turner’s House Trust) by its last owner in 2005, together with a large collection of prints, drawings and books. The house came into the Trust’s possession following the owner’s death in 2010 and a proposal has been developed to repair and restore the house, creating a visitor attraction to promote worldwide understanding of Turner, his life and work in Twickenham, and his contribution to landscape painting. Partnerships have been developed with institutions including the Strawberry Hill Trust and the Royal Academy. The Heritage Lottery Fund is considering the Trust’s Round 1 bid for funding in June 2013.
The Riding House at Wolfeton Manor is the oldest and one of only a few such buildings still standing. It was probably constructed between 1600 and 1610 by Sir George Trenchard and was a centre for the precision schooling of horses. The Wolfeton Riding House Trust was established in 1997 to restore the building and open it up to the public. It has taken 15 years of effort by the Trust’s volunteers to reach the stage where work is now underway. However, a shortfall in funding meant that only two of three phases of work could be completed. The Challenge Fund grant will enable the job to be completed and ensure the building can be removed from the Heritage at Risk Register.
This building was established as the Bridport Mechanic’s Institute in 1834 to provide education for men working in the town’s rope and net industries. Having functioned as a public library from 1951 to 1997 it has stood vacant since 2002. Bridport Area Development Trust has developed plans to provide a museum/study centre to interpret the region’s history of rope and net-making. The Challenge Fund grant offer will act as “catalyst” funding, helping to bring in other funders.
The Assay Office is Grade II* listed and is one of a complex of buildings comprising King Edward Mine, all of which have been added to the Heritage at Risk Register in 2012. King Edward Mine is the most complete surviving mine-head complex in the Cornish Mining World Heritage Site and is run as a museum. The Assay Office itself was built in the 1870s and is a single storey structure built of rubble stone with a weatherboarded front. It has been vacant for approximately 40 years.
There is an overall scheme for the repair and re-use of the buildings and enhancement of the site as a visitor experience however The Challenge Fund grant of £200,000 will go towards funding the restoration of The Assay Office as a “destination cafe” serving both the offices and the museum, while also providing a stopping point for tourists who extensively use this area.
Grade II* listed, The Lower Lodge was formerly the principal entrance to the Ashton Court Estate in Bristol. Today it is located on t he boundary of the grounds of Ashton Park School, adjacent to a busy A road, and is used as the school’s emblem. It has been unoccupied for 50 years and a partial roof collapse has caused movement throughout the structure.
The Challenge Fund grant of £164,000 will go towards conservation of the structure enabling it to be used as a “gateway heritage hub” and meeting space for use by the school and local community. The whole building project is also being integrated into the school’s teaching programme.
Castle House is a Grade II* Building at Risk in the centre of the town of Bridgwater. Built in 1851 in the Tudor Revival style, the building is regarded as probably one of the earliest surviving examples of the use of prefabricated concrete and constructional post-tensioning. It is currently owned by the SAVE Trust and the adjacent site by Sedgemoor District Council, both of whom have committed to transfer the freehold of the building and the adjacent site to Bridgwater Carnival when they have raised the funds necessary to undertake their repair and restoration.
The Challenge Fund grant of £200,000 will go towards providing a “home” for Bridgwater Carnival, an annual event attracting 250,000 people, and will include storage and exhibition space for their archive. The building will provide meeting rooms, rehearsal and performance space for the groups involved in the Carnival and offer additional accommodation for Bridgwater Arts Centre. A new building, the Carnival Workshop, will be constructed adjacent to Castle House.
All Saints Church dominates the centre of the village of Benington, is Grade I listed and is of 13th century origin. Notable features include the 15th Century oak nave roof with arch-braced collars and intermediate angels holding shields, an octagonal, late-medieval font and finely-carved pulpit, chancel screen and choir stalls.
All Saints was closed for worship in 2003 as the Parochial Church Council were unable to fund repairs. Since then there has been damage to the windows and theft of lead from the roof leading to water ingress. Benington Community Heritage Trust formed in 2007 to raise sufficient funds to repair and re-use the building.
The Challenge Fund grant of £200,000 will go towards essential conservation work and building repairs to enable the creation of a modern, warm and spacious hub for heritage based community activities and restoration of essential community services.
The Coker Rope and Sail Trust in Somerset, George Street Chapel in Oldham and Clophill Heritage Trust in Bedfordshire have received a major boost to rescuing their historic buildings in the form of grants from the Challenge Fund, a £2 million fund comprising of £1 million from the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation matched by English Heritage and administered by the Architectural Heritage Fund (AHF) […]
Theatres Trust has awarded 6 small capital grants to a range of theatres across the country from its UK Small Grants Scheme. This scheme is supported by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation and Judy Craymer MBE.
Theatres Trust has awarded 6 small capital grants to a range of theatres across the country from its UK Small Grants Scheme. Launched in 2012, this scheme is supported by the Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation and Judy Craymer MBE and awards grants of up to £5,000 to theatres across the UK with charitable status to address urgent building repairs and help theatres in need and at risk.
The 6 theatres receiving grants in this round are as follows:-
The Place Theatre, Bedford
Plough Arts Centre, Great Torrington
Market Theatre, Ledbury
Grand Pavilion, Matlock Bath
Carnegie Theatre and Arts Centre, Wokingham
The Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation today announced it has awarded grants worth a total of £566,911 to 19 projects across the UK.
The Andrew Lloyd Webber Foundation today announced it has awarded grants worth a total of £566,911 to 19 projects across the UK. The grants form part of the foundation’s active grant programme and support arts and culture projects that make a real and ongoing difference to people’s lives. This year’s recipients will also include a number of projects promoting the appreciation, preservation and conservation of heritage and fine arts. These include initiatives proposed by the Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, Watts Gallery Trust, Hay Castle Trust and Southampton City Art Gallery.
Andrew Lloyd Webber joined Historic England last night to announce the winners of this year’s Angel Awards. The awards, presented by fellow judge Bettany Hughes, are a celebration of the unsung heroes who work tirelessly to save our heritage. Ex-s
Andrew Lloyd Webber joined Historic England last night to announce the winners of this year’s Angel Awards. The awards, presented by fellow judge Bettany Hughes, are a celebration of the unsung heroes who work tirelessly to save our heritage.
Ex-soldiers excavating a spitfire crash site, a construction supervisor at Dudley Zoo, a young man saving a derelict hospital, a couple helping to generate Goole, a local trust restoring Clevedon Pier and a charity helping to maintain a conservation area are all celebrated as winners.